Welcome to the CSOD Internship Course “Treasure Beach Smart Community”. This is a special internship program for students from the TBWG cohort that have completed the CSOD LEVEL I program and have acquired practical and value-creating data skills for today’s Digital economy, including the use of digital productivity tools for data collection, analysis and visualization. This internship program provides an opportunity for students to reinforce and apply the knowledge and skills gained from the Level I courses to participate in, and support the Treasure Beach “Smart Community” project.
Data Literacy and the ability to collect, organize, manage, evaluate and apply data, especially geospatial data, to various business scenarios and activities is rapidly becoming an essential in demand employability and entrepreneurial skill. However Data skills provides many more opportunities for creating social and/or economic value. This Internship program provides an opportunity for students to reinforce and apply the knowledge and skills gained from the Level I courses to support the Treasure Beach “Smart Community” project, and to become a key part of the local support community for this ongoing initiative. Students will also be able to identify potential value creating opportunities from working with geospatial data.
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Use digital tools and technologies to conceptualize and work virtually on data-enabled initiatives
- Identify and assess a real-world problem situation that could be addressed using geospatial data and/or location-based services
- Familiarize with the Treasure Beach Smart Community initiative and use of the Treasure Beach Mobile App
- Support Place (Business) owners in Treasure Beach to create and edit geospatial data using digital tools
- Support the official Launch of the Treasure Beach Digital App
Who is this course for?
The internship program is designed for students from the TBWG cohort that have completed the CSOD LEVEL I program, or have otherwise acquired digital competencies
How long is this course?
Estimated time to complete the internship program is six (6) weeks. Students should expect to allocate 8 – 10 hours per week to complete the related activities.
Structure of the Course
This Internship is organized over a six-week period and is structured as follows:
- Week 1: Introduction to Geospatial Data and Mapping concepts – select modules from the CSOD Level II Program
- Week 2: Familiarize with the Treasure Beach Smart Community initiative and the Treasure Beach Mobile App | Assigned 10 business places for engagement
- Week 3: Work with Place owners to familiarize with the Mobile App and identify data to be cleaned, added
- Week 4: Data Cleaning: Edit map data / Field mapping: collect new data using the KoboCollect App
- Week 5: Train business owners to use the Mobile App / Update their place and event data
- Week 6: Launch Treasure Beach Digital App